When the Klondike Gold Rush began in 1897, men with dreams of riches began to arrive in Skagway and with them a Canadian Presbyterian Minister, the Reverend R.N. Dickey. Dickey built the “Union Church” which, as the only church building in the fledgling community, housed seven different denominations holding services throughout the week.
Two years later, with the arrival of Reverend N.B. Harrison, the American Presbyterian Church took over the ministry in Skagway and a separate structure was erected as the First Presbyterian Church. That edifice, on 5th Ave., just east of the current Manse, housed our congregation until it burned in 1916. In 1917 the Presbyterians moved into this building, which the Methodists built in 1901.
Our building today looks much the same as back then: the opera seats, the ceiling, and the lights are all original equipment. Some things have evolved since then as well. We survived as a mission church for over 100 years; now through continuing faithful stewardship and trust in our Lord Jesus Christ, we support our own and other mission work. Our faithful members, numbering less than 60, strive to carry on the tradition begun by the Union Church through God’s blessings to respond to the call of our mission statement:
As children of God we embrace our call to share the Good News of the Gospel through worship, fellowship and open doors, providing a nurturing environment as we grow in Christ and minister to our greater community.”
That mission lives by having a place for God’s children, to worship, even if on vacation; by proclaiming the gospel through church services, mission, education, and bible study for all ages; by partnering with a vibrant summer young-adult ministry. We also provide space for senior programs and community events.
If you have felt blessed by God during your time here or would like to partner in mission with us, please let us know. Gifts may be placed in the collection or mailed direct to: PO Box 513, Skagway, AK 99840.
The National Park Service, with a grant from the Rasmusson Foundation, is in the process of making detailed blueprints of the church. The video below give a first glimpse of what they will be able to produce.
Three versions of the Church Cookbooks available from the Church or local Skagway Stores.
Responding to God's call in Skagway since 1898